Applicants to the AASLD/LIFER Clinical and Translational Research Fellowship must be based outside of the United States at the time of application submission; the US based fellowship may not start prior to July 1, 2014 at the sponsoring institution.
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines:AWARD DETAILS
1. Applicant must possess a doctoral degree, either an MD or equivalent and/or a PhD from an
institution outside North America.
2. At the start of the award period, MD applicants must be within four years of completing clinical
residency or fellowship training (whichever ends more recently), and PhD applicants must be
within four years of the receipt of the degree.
(A parental leave of absence can not be counted towards the four years of eligibility.)
3. Prior to submission, applicant must identify a sponsoring U.S. institution and a research mentor that
is an AASLD member who agrees in writing to supervise his or her research.
4. Applicant must have a student or trainee Visa to the U.S.
5. Project is clinical. "Clinical Research" is defined as studies related to patients or disease
processes having direct contact between the principal investigator and humans. Clinical research
includes epidemiology and clinical trials in liver disease. At least 50 percent effort should be
devoted to research activities.
6. Applicant is a member of AASLD.
7. All applications must be in English.
8. Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD award.
Award period: July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career,
One award of $75,000 will be provided for one year. Funds may only be used for salary support or
technical support/laboratory supplies for the investigator. No indirect costs are provided. It is
expected that additional funds are available to the applicant in order to carry out the proposed research.
Funds will be issued to the recipient's institution and are not transferable to another recipient or another institution. AASLD must approve any award transfer to an institution other than the sponsoring institution listed on the application.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to AASLD within 60 days of completion of the award.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and
applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page
limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
1. Use the form provided as a cover page. Print or type responses.
2. Include required documents and provide required signatures.
3. Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand
corner of each page.
4. Use one-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
5. Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section
of the application.
6. Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
7. The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable
must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows:
Last name, first initial – Award name (Example: Smith, J – LIFER)
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm, December 3, 2013.
Submit application in a single PDF document named as follows: Last, First intitial -Award name
Example: (Smith, J - LIFER)
One copy of the complete application must be mailed to AASLD addressed as follows:
AASLD - LIFER/1001 N. Fairfax Street; Suite 400/Alexandria, VA 22314
Applicants may only submit for one (1) AASLD award or fellowship per year.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.