In order to be eligible for this fellowship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant must complete his/her GI fellowship training (at an ACGME approved institution) in the U.S. by July 1, 2014.
- The sponsoring institution must have a United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) approved liver transplant program, which must be in good standing and must perform at least 10 liver transplantations per year. The program must have a full-time faculty member or members capable of teaching a curriculum with a broad-base of knowledge in transplant medicine and hepatology. The program must provide training in living donor transplantation.
- For the duration of the fellowship period the applicant must have a faculty mentor who is active in hepatology at the applicant’s sponsoring institution; faculty mentor must be member of AASLD in good standing.
- The applicant must be member of AASLD by the award start date and maintain active membership for the duration of the fellowship period.
- The applicant is a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or recipient of a student or trainee Visa to the U.S.
- The fellowship is strictly for an additional year of clinical hepatology fellowship training and the applicant may not be faculty during the fellowship period.
- The applicant will not hold other, similar, fellowship awards during the fellowship period.
- A single sponsoring institution may submit up to one application for each accredited ACGME transplant hepatology training program; in the case of a multi-institutional ACGME-accredited transplant hepatology training program, only one application may be submitted by that program.
- Applicant may only submit for one (1) AASLD award or Fellowship.
Fellowship period: July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
The fellowship funding may only be used for the recipient's salary and benefit support. Funding will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution. Total funding is $60,000 (up to 8% may be used to support benefits).
Fellowship cannot be transferred to another institution and recipient cannot change mentors without prior written approval from AASLD. Final activity and financial reports are due to AASLD by August 31, 2015 and are not considered confidential. The recipient's institution will be notified of reports that are not received in a timely manner.
Recipient is expected to attend the 65th Annual Meeting in Boston and has the option to also attend Digestive Disease Week® 2015 in Washington, DC. Travel-related expenses incurred to attend the Annual Meeting and Digestive Disease Week® will be reimbursed up to $2,000 per meeting and according to guidelines provided prior to each meeting.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background and their commitment to a career in adult or pediatric clinical hepatology. Specifically, candidates will be reviewed based on:
- Professional potential of the applicant
- Experience, productivity, and commitment of the faculty mentor(s)
- Clinical and/or academic environment
- Quality of proposed clinical program
AASLD will review the applications and select recipients of the fellowship. Applications will be reviewed based only on the written materials submitted. All decisions are final. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed.
- Use the included cover page. Print or type responses.
- Include required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use one-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section on the following page of this application.
- Be sure to adhere to page limits and complete all sections. Applications that do not meet the requirements, in content or format, will not be reviewed.
- All required documents must be submitted as one PDF document. Name PDF file as follows: Last name, first initial - Fellowship name (Example: Smith, J - Advanced Transplant)
The submission deadline for this fellowship is 11:59 pm, December 3, 2013.
Submit application in a single PDF document named as follows: Last, First intitial - award name.
Example (Smith, J - Advanced Hep)
One (1) copy of the application must be sent to AASLD and addressed as follows:
AASLD - Advanced Hepatology Fellowship
1001 N. Fairfax Street; Suite 400
Alexandria, VA 22314
*Applicants may only submit for one (1) AASLD award or fellowship per year.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.