In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. Applicant must be in the first five years of appointment as a junior faculty member(instructor
or assistant professor) at a UNOS approved transplant center who spends 50% or more of his/her
time in clinical transplantation or transplantation-related sciences.
2. Applicant must show commitment to making substantial contributions to the field of liver
3. Applicant may not hold other similar research awards during award period.
4. Sponsor should be the applicant's research mentor and must be an AASLD member in
5. Applicant must be an AASLD member in good standing by the award start date and maintain active
membership for the duration of the award period.
6. A single sponsoring institution may submit up to one (1) application per distinct department within
each institutional training site.
7. Applicant may only apply for one (1) AASLD award or fellowship.
Award period: July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2016
One award of $90,000 will be provided over two years ($45,000 per year). Recipient may only use funds for salary support or for technical support/laboratory supplies. No indirect costs are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research. This award is intended to support the recipient’s continued research.
Funds will be issued to the recipient's institution and are not transferable to another recipient or another institution. AASLD must approve any award transfer to an institution other than the sponsoring institution listed on the application.
Scientific progress and financial reports must be sent to AASLD at the end of the first award year and within 60 days of completion of the award. Funding of the second year of the award is contingent upon receipt of first year reports.
The Liver Meeting®
The award recipient is strongly encouraged to both attend and present their work at The Liver Meeting®.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
1. Use the form provided as a cover page. Print or type responses.
2. Include required documents and provide signatures as requested.
3. Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand
corner of each page.
4. Use one-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
5. Assemble the application in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
6. Be sure to adhere to page limits and complete all sections. Applications that do not meet the
requirements, in content or format, will not be reviewed.
7. Application and required documents must be submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file
as follows: Last name, first initial -- Fellowship name (Example: Smith, J – Career Development)
The submission deadline for this fellowship is 11:59 pm, December 3, 2013.
Submit application in a single PDF file named as follows: Last name, First initial - award name
Example (Smith, J - Career Dev.)
One (1) copy of the application must be sent to AASLD:
AASLD - Career Development Award
1001 N. Fairfax Street; Suite 400
Alexandria, VA 22314
*Applicants may only submit for one (1) AASLD award or fellowship per year.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.