In order to be eligible for this fellowship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. The applicant must be a fully certified and licensed nurse practitioner, physician assistant,
clinical nurse specialist or advanced practice nurse on or before July 1, 2014. (no contingencies or exceptions)
2. The applicant must have no more than 18 months of experience as a midlevel provider in
hepatology and/or transplant hepatology (adult and/or pediatric) as of July 1, 2014.
3. The applicant must be an AASLD member in good standing by the fellowship start date, and
maintain active membership for the duration of the fellowship period.
4. The applicant must be mentored during the fellowship period by an AASLD member Clinical
Hepatologist who dedicates at least 50% of his/her time to the care of patients with liver
5. Only one application per institution will be accepted for consideration.
6. The applicant’s training must occur in an environment conducive to training in hepatology and that
ensures the competencies of the AASLD NP/PA Clinical Hepatology Fellowship Curriculum will be
obtained. The program must include:
- A minimum of three clinical conferences per week. (May include grand rounds or multidisciplinary conferences.)
- Participation in a liver biopsy conference. Training may include performance and management of
liver biopsy if the trainee’s licensing body, state, and institution permit this practice scope.
- The majority of the applicant’s time (>80%) will be focused on clinical care in hepatology.
7. Exposure to hepatology clinical research is favored however the applicant shall not assume the
role of the dedicated research coordinator to ensure sound fundamental training in all areas
of liver disease management.
8. The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S., Mexico or Canada.
9. The applicant will not hold other, similar awards during the fellowship period.
Fellowship Period: July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
An award of $78,000 will be provided for one year. Money is for salary ($65,000) and benefit
support (up to $13,000) for the recipient. Fellowships are granted to the individual applicant
not the applicant’s institution; however funds will be paid directly to the recipient’s institution.
The 65th Annual Meeting
The recipient’s travel-related expenses incurred to attend the 65th Annual Meeting in Boston, MA will be reimbursed up to $1,000 and according to guidelines provided prior to the meeting.
The award will include complimentary subscriptions to HEPATOLOGY and Liver Transplantation for
the duration of the fellowship period.
Recipient and their mentor must provide quarterly reports documenting progress. The reports should
contain patient log sheets summarizing case load, detailed conference and reading logs, evaluation
forms, and a narrative description of what the recipient is doing differently than in the previous
quarter as well as prior to the fellowship. A final report must be filed by the recipient and the mentor
summarizing activities related to this fellowship. A financial report from the institution must be
provided at the end of the fellowship period. The recipient’s institution will be notified of reports
that are not received.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background and their commitment to a career in adult
or pediatric clinical hepatology. Specifically, candidates will be reviewed based on:
- Professional potential of the applicant
- Experience, productivity, and commitment of the faculty mentor(s)
- Clinical environment
- Quality of proposed clinical program
Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the
submission deadline, page limitations and required signatures) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
1. Use the form provided as a cover page. Type or print responses.
2. Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the fellowship in the upper right-hand
corner of each page.
3. Use one-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10-point type.
4. Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section.
5. Be sure to adhere to page limits. Applications that do not meet the requirements, in content
or format, will not be reviewed.
6. The completed application and required documentation (except for the Letters of Reference –
these must be sent directly to AASLD) must be combined into and submitted as one PDF
document. Name the PDF file as follows: Last name, first initial – NP/PA Fellowship
(Example: Smith, J - NP/PA Fellowship)
The application deadline for this fellowship is 11:59 PM Eastern time, February 5, 2014.
Email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with NP/PA Clinical Hepatology Fellowship-last name, first initial in the subject line. (Example: NP/PA Clinical Hepatology Fellowship - Smith, J)
You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, please contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
Additionally, one (1) hard copy of the application should be mailed to:
1001 N. Fairfax Street
Alexandria, VA 22314
Questions should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.