Global NAFLD Nomenclature Consensus Development
The NAFLD Nomenclature Development effort is a global multi-stakeholder process involving multiple hepatology and gastroenterology societies, patients and patient advocacy organizations, regulators and industry representatives to examine the options and ramifications around nomenclature for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
The goal of this effort has been to convene a global panel to build consensus around the nomenclature (both the name and definition) and to protect and reinforce our scientific endeavor to better understand, prevent and treat the most prevalent cause of liver disease.
A cornerstone of this work is utilizing a Delphi process to facilitate dialogue and hopefully, consensus with a diverse cohort of over 250 leading experts from 56 countries. The participants in this process are multidisciplinary including hepatologists, gastroenterologists, endocrinologists, pathologists, researchers, both basic scientists and clinical researchers, and healthcare providers, including clinicians and advanced practice providers as well as multiple patient advocacy organizations.
As of September 15, 2022, the panel has executed two rounds of voting and hosted a consensus conference during the first week of July in Chicago, USA, as a third step in the evolution of the Delphi process. Following the consensus conference, additional experts from key hepatology societies in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America to further broaden representation from the global community.
- Manal Abdelmalek, MD, MPH, FAASLD United States
- Quentin M. Anstee, MBBS, PhD, FRCP United Kingdom
- Marco Arrese, MD, FAASLD Chile
- Ulrich Beuers, MD Netherlands
- Elisabetta Bugianesi, MD, PhD Italy
- Graciela Castro Narró, MD México
- Helena Cortez-Pinto, MD, PhD, FAASLD Portugal
- Donna Cryer, JD United States
- Kenneth Cusi, MD, FACP, FACE United States
- Mohamed El Kassas Jr., PhD Egypt
- Wayne Eskridge United States
- Jiangao Fan, MD, PhD China
- Sven M. Francque, MD, PhD Belgium
- Cynthia D. Guy, MD United States
- Stephen A. Harrison, MD, FAASLD United States
- Fasiha Kanwal, MD, MSHS, AGAF, FAASLD United States
- Bart Koot, MD, PhD Netherlands
- Marko Korenjak Belgium
- Jeffrey V Lazarus, PhD Spain
- Rohit Loomba, MD, FAASLD United States
- Robert Mitchell-Thain United Kingdom
- Philip N. Newsome, MD, PhD United Kingdom
- Shivaram Prasad Singh, MBBS, MD, DM India
- Vlad Ratziu, MD France
- Mary E. McCarthy Rinella, MD, FAASLD United States
- Michael Roden, MD Germany
- Arun J. Sanyal, MD, FAASLD United States
- Shiv Kumar Sarin, MD, FAASLD India
- Silvia C. Sookoian, MD, PhD, FAASLD Argentina
- Wendy Spearman MBChB, FCP, FRCP, MMed, PhD South Africa
- Dina Tiniakos, MD, PhD, FRCPath Greece
- Luca Valenti, MD Italy
- Miriam B. Vos, MD, MSPH, FAASLD United States
- Vincent Wong, MD China
- Yusuf Yilmaz, MD Turkey
- Zobair Younossi, MD, MPH, FAASLD United States
Pan-Society Presentation of NAFLD Nomenclature Consensus Process at The Liver Meeting®
The “Pan-Society Presentation of NAFLD Nomenclature Consensus Process,” live streamed on Sunday, November 6, 2022 at The Liver Meeting® in Washington, DC, USA, provided an update to the community, including the results of the most recent Delphi round. Watch the recorded session and view the session program here.
View the latest NAFLD nomenclature consensus news and updates:
- Watch the July 2022 NAFLD Nomenclature Consensus Conference Proceedings from the July 8-9, 2022 meeting held in Chicago, IL and virtually (access is free, but registration is required to view the proceedings).
- News: August 17, 2022 NAFLD Nomenclature Consensus Meeting High-Level Output
- News: February 11, 2022 Reaching Consensus on NAFLD Nomenclature
- Ratziu et al. The times they are a-changin' for NAFLD as well, J Hepatology 2020
- Younossi et al. From NAFLD to MAFLD: Implications of a Premature Change in Terminology, HEPATOLOGY 2020
Thank you to the following organizations for their support of this process:
If you would like to receive updates about the Global NAFLD Nomenclature development effort, please fill out the form below and check the box “I would like to receive updates.”
If you are a representative of an association or organization that would like to include your logo in support of the marketing efforts surrounding the NAFLD Nomenclature Consensus, please fill out the form below and check the box “I would like to submit a logo.” If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.