The purpose of the committee is to promote gender diversity, equality and professional development of clinicians, scientists and others in the fields of hepatology, gastroenterology, liver transplant surgery and the membership of AASLD as well as provide female mentorship of all trainees and junior faculty. In addition, the committee represents AASLD in the Gastroenterology Women’s Coalition for advancing careers and women’s initiatives in GI and Hepatology. The committee also provides a networking forum for women within AASLD.
- The AASLD Women’s Initiative Committee will organize the Professional Development & Networking Workshop for The Liver Meeting®.
- Represent AASLD on the Gastroenterology Women’s Coalition (GWC), a committee comprised of representatives of the AGA, AASLD, ASGE, and NASPGHAN focused on issues ranging from women’s health to professional development.
- Chair the GWC for a period of two years in rotation with the other GI societies. The AASLD Women’s Initiative chair will serve on the Medical Health Advisory Board of the Society for the Advancement of Women’s Health Research.
- Promote gender diversity and equality of scientists and others in the fields of hepatology and gastroenterology and the membership of AASLD.
The Chair will:
- Direct the planning process for AASLD’s Women’s Program at The Liver Meeting®
- Collaborate with AGA, SSAT, and ASGE societies on the development and execution of the Gastroenterology Women’s Coalition program at Digestive Disease Week®
- Report regularly to the AASLD Governing Board on the status of programming for The Liver Meeting® and DDW®.
- Submit a written report to each Governing Board meeting.
- Make policy recommendations to the Governing Board.
Size, Term, Composition:
- Up to 5 members, including a Governing Board Liaison
- Committee members will serve staggered three-year terms with new members appointed annually.
- The chairperson will serve in her capacity for three years.
- Committee members will be selected by the AASLD President, with the advice and consent of the Governing Board. Special ad hoc members may be assigned with approval of the AASLD President.
- The chair should be appointed by the AASLD President with the advice of the Governing Board.
Governing Board Liaison
- A Board liaison will be appointed to the committee for the purpose of sharing information between committee members, the governing board, and staff.
- The AASLD Women’s Initiative Committee will report regularly to the AASLD governing board on the committee’s status.
- The committee works through conference calls (1/year) and emails during the year in organizing the workshop for the Liver Meeting. The GWC involves conference calls (2/year) and meets during DDW each year.
Work Outside of Meetings
Relates to Goal:
- Goal 1.1 Provide in-person and online education
- Goal 1.3 Augment workforce recruitment, mentoring, and career development activities