The Governing Board will manage the affairs of the association, and review, establish, and modify professional scientific business administrative policies within the limits of the Bylaws to further the purposes of AASLD. The Governing Board shall approve an annual budget, establish financial goals for the Association, oversee the financial operations of the Association, and have discretion in the control, management of investments and disbursement of funds. The Board shall establish and review long-term objectives of AASLD and establish the priority of all programs and activities.
The Board consists of a President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and seven Councilors (three elected as regular Councilors, three elected as Councilors-at-Large and the Past-President).
- Establish and disband appointed groups including committees (not established by the Bylaws) and task forces.
- Designate representatives to other organizations.
- Receive reports from all standing committees and approve candidates for membership.
- Oversee and manage the publication of the Associations' journals: HEPATOLOGY, Liver Transplantation, Clinical Liver Disease, and Hepatology Communications, as well as all other AASLD publications.
- Administer selection of all official awards, prizes and grants.
- Accept grants, contributions, gifts, bequests or devices to further the purposes of AASLD.
- Approve or disapprove all recommendations of standing committees.
- Approve all nominations to standing committees.
- Investigate all charges of unprofessional or unbecoming conduct made against any member or to bring such charges on its own initiative.
The Executive Committee exercises the power of the Governing Board between meetings. It includes the President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, and Senior Councilor (i.e., the Councilor serving the third year of his/her term) and the immediate Past-President.