AASLD develops evidence-based practice guidelines and practice guidances which are updated regularly by a committee of hepatology experts and include recommendations of preferred approaches to the diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive aspects of care.
AASLD practice guidelines are developed by a multidisciplinary panel of experts who rate the quality (level) of the evidence and the strength of each recommendation using the Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development, and Evaluation system (GRADE).
Guidelines are developed using clinically relevant questions, which are then answered by systematic reviews of the literature, and followed by data-supported recommendations.
AASLD practice guidances are developed by a panel of experts on a topic, and guidance statements are put forward to help clinicians understand and implement the most recent evidence.
Recently AASLD has published guidances on aspects of a topic that lacked sufficient data to perform systematic reviews. Many guidelines published before 2014 are being updated as guidances.
AASLD provides access to the full text guideline PDFs for personal use.
Learn more about AASLD Practice Guideline Development.
AASLD Practice Guidelines and Guidances
- Acute Liver Failure, management
- Alcoholic Liver Disease
- Ascites due to Cirrhosis, management
- Autoimmune hepatitis, management
- Hemochromatosis, management
- Hepatic Encephalopathy
- Hepatitis B, Chronic
- Hepatitis C, Guidance
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma, management
- Liver Biopsy
- Liver Transplantation, evaluation of the adult patient
- Liver Transplantation, Evaluation of the Pediatric Patient
- Long-Term Management of the Successful Adult Liver Transplant
- Long-Term Medical Management of the Pediatric Patient After Liver Transplantation
- Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, Diagnosis and Management
- Portal Hypertension Bleeding in Cirrhosis, Guidance
- Primary Biliary Cholangitis
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, management
- TIPS, management of portal hypertension
- Vascular Disorders of the Liver
- Wilson Disease, diagnosis and treatment
- Corrections to the AASLD Position Paper: The Management of Acute Liver Failure: Update 2011 William M. Lee, MD,1 Anne M. Larson,
- AASLD Position Paper: The Management of Acute Liver Failure: Update 2011
The present version of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Position Paper represents a thorough overhaul from the previous version of 2005. In addition to two new additional authors, the revision includes updated expert opinion regarding (1) etiologies and diagnosis, (2) therapies and intensive care management, and (3) prognosis and transplantation. We offer three publications.
- Guidelines / Guidance Development
- Citing Practice Guidelines / Guidances
AASLD strives to review and update its Practice Guidelines every five (5) years, as necessary. Users are cautioned that in the interim, scientific and medical developments may supersede or invalidate, in whole or in part, specific recommendations in any Guideline. A Guideline is considered to be "inactive" if it has not been updated by AASLD in at least five (5) years, and for this reason particular care must be exercised in placing reliance on an inactive Guideline.
AASLD commissions and provides financial support for the formulation and production of Practice Guidelines / Guidances by volunteer experts. Financial support from commercial entities or the pharmaceutical industry is not accepted for the development of AASLD practice guidelines or guidances.