AASLD Statement On Diversity and Call To Action
We are at an inflection point in our history, and we stand united in condemning bigotry and discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation. We will take direct action to address discrimination and inequality in order to improve diversity within AASLD membership and the hepatology workforce and ensure equitable access to resources and opportunities for leadership. We will strive to create an environment where every member feels valued and respected and where those from underrepresented groups are able to influence policy. In conjunction with the Inclusion and Diversity Committee, the AASLD is committed to the following actions:
- Collect accurate and complete demographics data on our current membership so that we may identify and target areas to increase diversity and make this data available to the membership.
- Address inequities in the hepatology workforce and outline steps to mitigate these disparities in an upcoming white paper in HEPATOLOGY.
- Include an Inclusion and Diversity Committee member on the Scientific Program Committee and on the Nominating Committee to foster diversity in educational programming, speakers, and leadership.
- Create a speakers’ database to ensure a more diverse selection of speakers and moderators for AASLD educational programs.
Research and Education
- Support underrepresented trainees and junior faculty members conducting research by providing travel awards for the annual meeting of the Network of Minority Health Research Investigators (NMRI).
- Identify outstanding abstracts on health disparities research presented at The Liver Meeting with a distinction designation and presentation during an e-poster tour and establish travel awards for selected trainees who are first authors on these abstracts.
- Recognize and mitigate the structural forces that promote inequity in medicine and health care through ongoing educational programming that includes the annual Diversity Workshop.
We recognize that diversity in our membership and leadership provides the experiences, ideas, and perspectives necessary to advance patient care and foster health equity. These specific actions are critical first steps in our pledge to commit ongoing effort in working toward a fully inclusive organization and profession and to provide the membership updates on our success.